Pfaff Autoworks.

Asked if having an accident over the border is a big deal, Pfaff Autoworks’ general manager Jeff Pabst says to treat it just like you would an accident in Canada.

The first thing to do is ensure that you and your passenger(s) are safe.

Once you have notified the local authorities, the next and most important step is to notify your insurance company of the collision. Discuss the situation with your insurance company and notify them of your wishes. They will likely want your vehicle returned to Canada anyway for repairs in order to deal with bodyshops that they have relationships with and knowledge of.

Note that while your insurance company can recommend a body shop, they cannot legally tell you where to get your car repaired; in the end, that’s your choice, and you should deal with a body shop that is familiar with your vehicle and certified by its manufacturer.

The most complicated part of the equation – and it’s really not that complicated – will be getting your vehicle back home to be repaired. But many flatbed towing companies are licensed to cross the border, and Pabst has even brought an Audi TT back from an accident in Mexico by using three separate towing companies.

“In the end, your insurance company will want to bring the car back to Canada – and you’re going to want to get it repaired properly.”